Finding Smith'sWe found a death certificate that mentioned a burial in Smith Cem in Oak Hill. Tyree Funeral Home was listed as the Undertaker. They are still in business, so we called their Oak Hill office and asked about the cemetery. They gave us directions that were to go to Greentown Road, go around the big curve and find a house on the left at the top of a hill.
This seems to be the way we find cemeteries. We get a rough idea of where it is and what we're looking for, go to the area and have to ask for help. So far we've always found helpful people - Sherry is excellent at spotting the perfect person to help with directions.
Mapping and Photos
These are some of the relationships we found between the families:
- Hazel Plumley married Lana Smith in 1925.
- John Wise Olds married Rosa Zetta Smith in
- Lottie Ann Elsie Evans married Jess Willard Olds in 1950.
- Dolly Mattie Evans married George F. Olds in 1950. Dolly & Lottie were sisters and Jess and George were brothers.
- Harmon Smith married Verlina Hamilton, daughter of Samuel and Luella, in 1931.
- A family of Painters lived next door to Harmon Smith's family